Cupcakes Background

Voting

Friday, December 3, 2010

Pumpkin Bread

One of my favorite things about fall is baking with pumpkin. The cool weather combined with the sweet aroma of pumpkins makes for such a cozy feeling. I wish it could be fall all year- althought I probably wouln't appreciate it as much.
I decided to bake some pumpkin bread a couple of nights ago since I still have some frozen pumpkin puree left over from the giant pumpkin I baked the other day. I had to substitute walnuts for pecans because I accidentaly burned my walnuts, that's what happens when one doens't pay atttention! I must take charge of the ADHD in me. Despite that it came out pretty good, nice and moist. Speaking of moist, because the pumpkin was frozen and thawed it was very liquidy, so I added a little less oil than the recipe called for. Another thing I always do, even when the recipe doesns't call for it, is lightly toasting my nuts, it really enhances the flavor.

Spiced Pumpkin Bread ( Epicurious Recipe)

Ingredients

3 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 16-oz can solid pack pumpkin
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts ( optional)

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350F. Butter and flour two 9x5x3 inch loaf pans. Beat sugar and oil in large bowl to blend. Mix in eggs and pumpkin. Sift flour, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, salt and baking powder into another large bowl. Stir in pumpkin mixture in 2 additions. Mix in walnuts, if desired.

Divide batter equally between prepared pans. bake until tester inserterd into center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Transfer to racks and cool.


                                   Loaves cooling on rack. Yum!

                                 I love the color of the fresh pumpkin.

                                 Going into the oven.

1 comment: