Cupcakes Background

Voting

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Almond Joy Cake

I have a ladie's game night to go tomorrow, and it's a potluck so I decided to bring one of my favorite cakes, Almond Joy. I had actually never made it, but I always eat it when my co-worker Robin brings it to school. Actually, I got the recipe and ingredients from Robin at our last game night ( different group)! But I knid of wish I hadn't found out what's on the cake, because now that I know I will have to eat less of it LOL...no wonder it's so tasty, it's horrible for you! But I guess it's OK as an every-once-in-awhile treat. 

- 1 box of chocolate cake mix with pudding. Mix and bake on a 17 1/2 X 11 1/2 pan( I know it's HUGE!) according to package directions

Filling ( or 1st layer if you will)

- 1 c. evaporated ( not condensed) milk
- 1 c. sugar
- 24 large marshmallows
- 14oz. bag shredded, sweetened coconut

In a pan, combine milk and sugar. Add marshmallows and heat until melted. Add coconut and pour over the hot cake, spreading to cover the entire surface of the cake. 

Topping ( or 2nd layer)

- 1 1/2 c. of sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk ( the rest of the can)
- 1 stick of  butter
 - 6 oz. bag of chocolate chips ( 1 1/2 cup)
- 1 small bag of sliced almonds

In a pan, combine sugar, milk and margarine, bring it to a boil. Add chocolate chips and stir until melted. Add almonds or save for top of cake ( I saved mine). Pour over warm cake and spread. Store in the refrigerator. Robin tells me it freezes well!

 The final product, I hope my Brazilian friends like this very American cake!
 Evaporated milk, sugar and marshmallows ready to be melted together.
                        It gets so light and fluffy, a lot of fun to stir!
I did not realize how much space melted marshmallow take, it almost went out of the pan. I had to remove it to another container in order to be able to add the coconut. Next time I will use my biggest pasta pot!
                                   With the first layer on.

No comments:

Post a Comment