Cupcakes Background

Voting

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Flan

In Brazil, like in the rest of Latin America, we love flan. It looks fancy  but is a breeze to make! Here is the recipe I use, passed down to me by my mom:

- 1 can condensed milk ( I always use La Lechera)
- 2 cans of milk ( use the condensed milk can for measurement)
- 4 eggs

Blend it all well and pour it into a caramelized spring form pan.

There are several techniques to caramelize a pan, I like to pour some sugar ( remember, it will be your caramel sauce, if you like a lot of sauce put a lot of sugar) into the pan, place it directly on top of the fire on the stove, and melt it.Caution: sugar dissolves quickly, so don't leave your pan unattended for even one second! Once it's all melted work quickly to coat all sides of the spring form pan with the sugar, as it hardens fast.

After you have poured the blended mix into the caramelized spring form pan put it on a water bath, and cook it on low temperature for about 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into it comes out clean, and you feel that your flan is at the desired consistency.
Cool it completely before turning it onto a platter and serving it. I usually cool mine overnight, in the fridge.

The caramelizing of the pan might sound a little intimating to some but I promise it's super easy and totally worth it!


1 comment: