Cupcakes Background

Voting

Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving

Yesterday was Thanksgiving here in the USA and I should have posted this then, except I was too exhausted to do so! Not easy to prepare such a huge meal. And I didn't do everything by myself, here is a list of what we had and who made what: 

  1. Turkey- Dear Husband, he used Alton Brown's recipe, the same we have been using for years, and it came out fabulous.
  2. Gravy- Dear Husband, his specialty, sorry I have no idea what he puts into it or how he goes about making it. I've never paid enough attention. Maybe next time.
  3. Stuffing- Dear Husband, it was white bread with pecans, cranberries, celery and onions. Cooked everything on the stove top then baked it. My favorite!
  4. Rice- Me. Yes, I know, the pilgrims did not eat rice but I just had to have it. I made a casserole out it, cooked the rice as usual then added cranberries, corn , topped it with mozzarella cheese and broiled it.
  5. Cranberry Sauce- Me. I made the recipe I had already posted here, but this time I cooked a little less so it was softer, very nice. 
  6. Mashed Potatoes- Dear Husband and I. Team work, best spuds ever!  Our secret? A ton of cream and butter, oh so tasty!
  7. Sweet Potato Casserole, Peas, and Assorted Vegetables- Sister-in-Law. She is in charge every year, and I am sure they were delicious, I wouldn't know because I don't eat vegetables. Oh yes, I am aware of  the health benefits and all. But I really hate how they taste and smell.
  8. Rolls- Mom. She made them from scratch and they were awesome. I can only hope to be half the baker she is one day. 
  9. Appetizers- Mom-in-Law. We had different types of shrimp and sauces, and an extra yummy crab and cream-cheese filled wonton thingy, super yummy. You didn't think we were only having all of the above, right?
  10. Apple Pie- Dear Husband, he doesn't really have a recipe, just kinda experiments with different flavors every year, and always changes the amounts. 
  11. Pecan Pie- Me. Here is the recipe. 
  12. Pumpkin Pie- Me. For the recipe click here. 
So it might look like I did not do a lot work, however for Dear Husband's dishes I did all the prep work, chopping, peeling etc... I also washed a ton of dishes, because I only have one dishwasher and so many dishes. In addition we had to move furniture around to accommodate everybody, clean all the silver, set the tables and serving stations...only ten people but still time consuming. Not complaining, just explaining. We do it every year and love it, a tradition we hope to continue for many years to come. 

 I like to serve big meals buffet style so there is plenty of room to move around the main table.


                        The main table.


     Stuffing in the front, mashed potatoes on the left, sweet potato casserole on the right.

                 The main attractions: 20.5 lbs. turkey.


        Rice casserole in front, veggies in the back and left, rolls on the right.


          Brinning the turkey.



                Roasting the turkey. 
                          All-American apple pie.

3 comments:

  1. Nossa, que DELÍCIA!!! Quanta coisa boa!! PARABÉNS! O blog está ótimo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obrigada Olivia! Modestia a parte estava uma delicia mesmo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Esta não perdemos...
    Ainda bem.
    Estava muito bom.

    ReplyDelete